Wednesday, March 18, 2020

You're either selfish or stupid for not following social distancing protocols

Social Distancing: Day 5 (Wednesday, March 18, 2020)

It's been hard enforcing what I know is the right thing to do. I haven't left the house since Friday and neither have the boys. Andy has been running errands as needed. He doesn't complain; I think he needs to get out when he can.

Giuseppe has been asking for friends over and is pretty upset that I am putting my foot down. I explain that it is socially irresponsible for me to allow it. In my entire history of life we have never had schools shut down for a 3+ week period. Never! So, I will take this seriously. Believe me, we've never had an uninterrupted week of nothing to do. Unfortunately, it's a luxurious we have never had an opportunity to take advantage of. Before the COVID-19 order our spring break looked like this:


  • Andy and I took the entire week off of work
  • Vincenzo was going to perform in the Fiddlers Club performance Saturday
  • Rocco was going to have outdoor baseball practices
  • Rocco was going to have hockey tryouts
  • Vincenzo was going to have baseball practices
  • Vincenzo was scheduled to have a baseball tournament in Louisville
  • Giuseppe was going to be practicing with the High School Baseball team
  • Giuseppe was going to be playing HS baseball
So, as you can see, this would be a perfect excuse to take a cheap family vacation. But we are rule- followers even when those around us see this as an opportunity.


My household of boys have a higher chance of recovering form COVID-19 if we get it, but that is not what this is about. It is about slowing down the spread to protect our most vulnerable and of course flatten the curve. This isn't time for a vacation. This isn't even a staycation. Watching people continue traveling, having playdates and interacting in crowds is nothing less than irresponsible and pathetic. Their character is either selfish or stupid.

No comments:

Let's back up a bit

This is the month of my July babies. Both Giuseppe and Rocco were born in July. Let's back up a bit. Michigan is still in a State of E...