Monday, September 17, 2018

Family update: September 2018

Giuseppe

Today Giuseppe went to school without his crutches. He still has a brace on his leg, but he is able to walk without crutches. Pretty big milestone. His physical therapy is working amazingly. He can bend his leg at over 90 degrees. We are very happy with his progress.

Giuseppe has challenged himself with Honors Biology and Intro to AP Chemistry this trimester; he is very much an achievement oriented young man. He lives by the same motto as his father, "Work hard, Play hard."

Vincenzo

Over the weekend Vincenzo had his best football game to date with a few solid tackles and in many plays. It was nice to see Vincenzo involved and happy. Since his physical therapy started over the summer to correct his flat foot & to loosen his hip flexor, we have seen huge improvements in his run and stance. 

Vincenzo also had baseball practice with Rocco's team yesterday where he got an opportunity to get his swing dialed in with the increased movement of his hips. A few bombs were hit, according to Andy. We're excited to see how this plays out with his new Saline Hornet team. (BTW: he sported a Saline hat yesterday for the first time and his smile was cheek to cheek.)

Vincenzo continues to read the Wings of Fire series of books. Without any pressure to read, we will find him enjoying hours of reading whenever he needs a break from life. 

Rocco

Rocco had a busy weekend with two hockey games and a football game. Unfortunately he didn't win any of the games, but not without full effort from him and his teammates. Once the hockey team starts their official regular season, I have no doubt that they will be fine. 

Rocco absolutely loves being an athlete. LOVES IT!! 
This past weekend Rocco was named Assistant Captain.
Rocco also had his first fall baseball practice with his new 9U Saline Hornet Team Sunday in the humid heat. He was happy to see his baseball friends. It's nice to see this unique friendship start so young, which will develop to a strong brotherly bond as they go into middle/high school together. 

Grandma Lisa

We celebrating my Mom's birthday this weekend. She had a lot going on in the day, but stayed very positive and happy about being surrounded by her three grandsons. It is good for her mind to be able to attend all their sporting events. Mom has been staying with us in Ann Arbor for about a month now.

Her Alzheimer remains at the same level as when she was first diagnosed. She mostly has good days, as long as she has relevant interactions with those around her. Andy does an amazing job including her in small tasks throughout the week. Giuseppe, Vincenzo and Rocco are very tolerant & patient of her repeated questions. 

Andy

It's been about two months since Andy started his new job with Eurofins Lancaster Labs. There were virtually no hiccups in the transition to this job. Similar to his previous job, he works from home and travels for client visits. 

Andy coaches Rocco's baseball team and is one of the assistant coaches for Vincenzo's football team. For the first time ever, he is not involved as a coach for any of Giuseppe's teams. Andy's job is done in regards to Giuseppe as he enters his high school career.

Sonia

I recently passed my Jazzercise assessment, which was weighing on me for months since I passed the audition in November. I am now regularly doing two classes per week of a LO format and two classes at a High format. Both formats are challenging workouts. I'm having a blast and wish so deeply that I had been doing this 25 years ago. 

Once upon a time, back in the 90s I use to do this exact thing in my parent's basement for hours and hours on end. I called it aerobics, but in reality it was fitness dancing. 

I remember my mom would get so mad at me and say, "You are addicted!". Maybe I was. Maybe I am. It would be HOURS per day that I would be in my "aerobics" room that was exclusively dedicated to me. My parents, brother and sisters were very respectful not to challenge the ownership of this hideously decorated patriotic room. (I wish I had pictures. Seriously, the carpet was red, white and blue to match the wallpaper. OMG!)

If only I had known about Jazzercise. If only I had known... 

Thankfully now in my 40s, I'm back to doing what I love with the full support of my family.

No comments:

Let's back up a bit

This is the month of my July babies. Both Giuseppe and Rocco were born in July. Let's back up a bit. Michigan is still in a State of E...