Friday, February 16, 2018

Red is my favorite color

My favorite color is RED. I have loved the color red since I was a young girl. However, because it was my favorite I thought it was everyone's favorite. I guess at that young innocent time in my life I didn't realize how different we all really were. I thought everyone was like me. I thought everyone was Catholic, everyone had two parents, everyone ate pasta 3-5 times a week, everyone's mom stayed home, everyone liked dogs over cats...everyone was like me.

But I wanted to be different. I wanted to be unique. So, remember, I thought everyone liked red, so I would tell people my favorite color was actually the color I least preferred. I would say black or orange or lime green or sky blue or brown. It varied. I expected people to tell me how interesting my color choice was. Turns out no one cared. No one cared!

It baffled me that these people who I believed loved red would be the same people who wouldn't be 'shocked' that I liked sky blue. Why weren't they concerned? Why didn't they ask questions?

So, eventually I decided to embrace what I liked and was ok that everyone's favorite color was red too. Turns out, once I decided to actually be ME and not someone else I started to fit into myself. I was more aware of me. I didn't have to be different to be special. What I had to do was be me.

(Yes, in time I did finally realize that red wasn't the human population's favorite color. Big revelation, huh?)

This simple concept is the underlying tone of my life. Conversations now have more passion behind them, friendships have more meaning and life has a greater purpose. Instead of saying I like muddy brown and waiting for a look of disgust, I can proudly tell people I love red and passionately tell them all the reasons why.... and mean it, honestly mean it!

Side note: Red is the color of fire and blood, so it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love. Red is a very emotionally intense color. It enhances human metabolism, increases respiration rate, and raises blood pressure.

No comments:

Let's back up a bit

This is the month of my July babies. Both Giuseppe and Rocco were born in July. Let's back up a bit. Michigan is still in a State of E...